The cost of gaming
An article on Lifehackers brought up an interesting topic: how much does gaming actually cost? Yeah, consoles range from $180 for the Wii and $300 for the PS3 and the Xbox, but that doesn't count other costs. Then there is the cost for the games and the chordes and the extra controllers and the additional features etc. When it is all taken into consideration, the cost of console gaming is way more than it initially looks. Controllers can be between $20-40 and games can be anywhere from $30-60.
Take the the collection in my dorm right now. Currently, side by side, my roomate and I have and Xbox360 next to a Wii next to a PS2.
Now, the PS2 is no longer worth very much. If I were to sell it, I might get $100. Combined, my roommate and I have about 5 games for it, which are probably less than their original price. Lets estimate conservatively at $100. Then there are the controllers and memory cards. Lets say total it is about $250 in price.
Now take the Wii. It costs about $180. We have probably over 20 Wii and Gamecube games for it. So, since some of them are old and maybe not worth much and other are more expensive, lets give them a modest average of $25 a game. That is $500 of games. Add in the controllers and nunchuks, that is an ultra conservative $100. So, for our collection, that would be $780.
And then there is the Xbox. It costs around $300. Two controllers and an HDMI cord totaling about $80. Counting the 4 games and 1 online game, it would be about $150. So, total, we have $530.
So, total for the console games, my roomate and I have around $1500 in stuff. In comparison, on my computer, I have 7 games that I have spent a total of around $30 on (thank you Steam for having amazing sales!) plus all the free online games that I want. It really makes you wonder about whether console gaming is still going to keep itself up being so expensive.
Take the the collection in my dorm right now. Currently, side by side, my roomate and I have and Xbox360 next to a Wii next to a PS2.
Now, the PS2 is no longer worth very much. If I were to sell it, I might get $100. Combined, my roommate and I have about 5 games for it, which are probably less than their original price. Lets estimate conservatively at $100. Then there are the controllers and memory cards. Lets say total it is about $250 in price.
Now take the Wii. It costs about $180. We have probably over 20 Wii and Gamecube games for it. So, since some of them are old and maybe not worth much and other are more expensive, lets give them a modest average of $25 a game. That is $500 of games. Add in the controllers and nunchuks, that is an ultra conservative $100. So, for our collection, that would be $780.
And then there is the Xbox. It costs around $300. Two controllers and an HDMI cord totaling about $80. Counting the 4 games and 1 online game, it would be about $150. So, total, we have $530.
So, total for the console games, my roomate and I have around $1500 in stuff. In comparison, on my computer, I have 7 games that I have spent a total of around $30 on (thank you Steam for having amazing sales!) plus all the free online games that I want. It really makes you wonder about whether console gaming is still going to keep itself up being so expensive.
Comments (0)
Post a Comment